Dumbiedikes was built by EV and Mary Tillson during the winter between 1902 and 1903. It was named after a setting in a novel by Sir Walter Scott called The Heart of Midlothian. Rob Roy and Dulce Donum, cottages owned by cousins also on Fairhaven Island, take their names from this novel as well. (The thinking behind this inside joke has been lost–even after reading the novel.)
The cottage is unusually close to the water. The story goes that the Tillsons marked a line where they wanted the cottage to go, but the builders put it in front of the line instead of behind it. EV’s grandson Ted once tried diving off one of the balconies into the lake, resulting in a broken cheek and plastic surgery.